Information booklet for owner drivers
The Victorian owner driver information booklet is a practical resource to assist owner drivers to successfully operate a business.
The information booklet is a resource covering:
- rights and obligations under the Owner Driver and Forestry Contractors Act 2005 and Code
- guidance for running a successful small business
- other laws and regulations that apply to transport activities
- sources of advice and assistance.
Hirers must give a copy of the information booklet to owner drivers.
The information booklet must be given:
- at least three business days before the owner driver is engaged, if the owner driver will be engaged for a period of at least 30 days; or
- on the thirtieth day, if the owner driver is engaged for a total period of at least 30 days in any three month period.
These requirements also apply to freight brokers and to tender situations.
A hirer or freight broker, who is required under the Owner Drivers and Forestry Contractors Act 2005 to provide the applicable rates and costs schedule and Information Booklet to a contractor, may do so in hard copy or electronic form. If the document is given in electronic form, a copy of the document should be emailed to a direct email address of the contractor. Emailing only a link to this website or emailing to a generic email address will not satisfy the requirements of the Owner Drivers and Forestry Contractors Act 2005. A contractor should be provided with a hard copy of the rates and costs schedule or Information Booklet if the contractor has requested either document in hard copy rather than in electronic form.
In order to demonstrate compliance with the requirements of the Owner Drivers and Forestry Contractors Act 2005, it is important to keep good records. It is recommended that you obtain a notice of receipt or acknowledgement from a contractor when giving/emailing the rates and costs schedule or Information Booklet to them.
Download a copy of the Victorian owner driver information booklet from the Business Victoria website.
Page last updated: 20 July 2016