Youth Cadetship Scheme (YCS)
The Jobs Victoria Youth Cadetship Scheme (YCS) gives young disadvantaged Victorians a job in the public service and experience that will put them on the path to a meaningful career.
The YCS will run as a pilot program from 2017 to 2020, providing 135 disadvantaged young people with a two-year cadetship in the Victorian Public Sector (VPS). The program aims to provide sustainable employment to disadvantaged young people and create a more diverse and inclusive VPS workforce.
The YCS has been developed in partnership with the Community and Public Sector Union (CPSU).
How does YCS work?
- offers entry-level VPS positions to disadvantaged young people who have graduated from the Youth Employment Scheme (YES)
- supports them to a level where they can compete for positions that will further their VPS career
- offers continuing accredited training throughout their cadetship.
Cadetship positions will be advertised by Victorian Government departments and prospective cadets will undertake an application process. Successful cadets will commence a Certificate IV in government and will be able to apply for a scholarship that will reimburse them for half of the cost of their studies.
Cadets will receive individual support from a dedicated liaison officer at the CPSU.
Who is eligible for YCS?
To be eligible for YCS, prospective cadets must have completed, or nearly completed, a YES traineeship and represent one of the following targeted groups:
- Long-term unemployed (prior to the YES traineeship)
- Resident in a rural or remote area of Victoria
- Early school leaver (prior to year 12)
- Single parents
- Have a disability or mental illness
- Social housing tenant
- Out of home care client
- Ex-offender/youth justice client
- Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander
- Culturally and linguistically diverse and/or
- A family member of a veteran.
How is YCS different from YES?
The YCS builds on the foundations of YES, which has been providing one-year traineeships for young people in the VPS since 2000. The YCS provides the capacity to retain promising trainees within the VPS and offer them a career pathway at the completion of their YES traineeship.
For more information on the Youth Cadet Scheme contact Jobs Victoria:
Jobs Victoria Youth Cadetship scheme launch
Page last updated: 12 January 2017