The right support at the right time can make all the difference.
Victoria is the fastest growing state in the nation, in the midst of a transition towards a knowledge economy. Within this environment, Jobs Victoria is funded to address labour market disadvantage, support job seekers at risk of being left behind and ensure all Victorians benefit from the state's strong economy.
The 2016-17 Victorian Budget included $53 million for the establishment of Jobs Victoria, to support disadvantaged Victorians into the workforce, and provide targeted support services for people looking for work and for employers looking for workers.
Jobs Victoria's main program is the Jobs Victoria Employment Network (JVEN). JVEN is the Victorian Government's major activity to help disadvantaged Victorian jobseekers gain employment. JVEN services will be delivered by specialist employment experts who work closely with employers to identify job opportunities and prepare job seekers for those roles.
Other Jobs Victoria initiatives:
- The Major Project Skills Guarantee ensures that all publicly funded works contracts valued at or over $20 million (inclusive of GST) will be required to use local apprentices, trainees or engineering cadets for at least ten per cent of the total estimated labour hours.
- The BiTS (Business in Transition Support) Program helps reduce the adverse impact of retrenchments. BiTS is open to any business or employer in Victoria that is currently undertaking or considering a retrenchment process.
- The Youth Employment Scheme (YES) offers young people aged 15 to 24 an opportunity to work in the Victorian Public Service (VPS) or an agency of government for 12 months while studying for a Certificate III or IV qualification.
- Jobs Victoria is developing a coherent and consolidated Victorian Government approach to supporting jobseekers at risk of being left behind.
Jobs Victoria is part of a suite of initiatives arising from the Jobs for Victoria strategy to support jobs growth across the state and to assist Victorians to take up these new job opportunities. Other initiatives focus investment where it is needed to create jobs and growth across the state, including:
- Future Industries Fund
- Regional Jobs Fund
- Agriculture Infrastructure and Jobs Fund
- Back to Work Scheme
- Premier's Jobs and Infrastructure Fund
- Local Industry Fund for Transition
- New Energy Technologies Program
- Wine Growth Fund.
If you are looking for career opportunities with the Victorian Public Service, please go to our careers website.
Page last updated: 20 August 2016