Support package for taxi and hire car licence holders
- Fairness Fund
- Industry Transition Assistance
- Assistance payments
- Rebates to annual and peak service licence holders
- Taxi Reform Hardship Fund
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Fact sheets
In August 2016, the Victorian Government announced comprehensive reforms to the taxi, hire car and ride-share industry that will create a level playing field for all industry participants once all of the changes are in place in 2018.
The Victorian Government recognises the reforms will have a range of impacts on existing licence holders, and is providing financial support to those affected during the transition period.
The Government is funding a revised support package, which now includes:
- Transition assistance payments to perpetual and fixed term licence holders where the licence fee was paid upfront, extended to licence holders that own third and fourth licences and made over two years
- Rebates to existing annual fee paying licence holders whose licence fees were paid or due to be paid in 2016-17 financial year and any future renewals
- A Fairness Fund to provide targeted support for licence holders that may experience financial hardship as a result of the changes, and to support the provision of accessible services
Licence holders may apply for both of these forms of support.
The Victorian government's Fairness Fund is now open for applications.
The Fairness Fund is needed because proposed reforms to the commercial passenger vehicle market, while benefitting customers, are also affecting people who own a taxi or hire car licence. $50 million has been allocated to the Fund to provide targeted financial support to those licence holders who need it most.
For more information and to apply see Fairness Fund.
Industry Transition Assistance
Licence holders will also have access to an Industry Transition Assistance package from 2017.
Following consultation with the taxi and hire car industry, the Government has made the Industry Transition Assistance package larger, with payments to be made sooner than previously announced. This will provide more targeted and immediate assistance for all affected licence holders.
On 30 November 2016, the Government announced that transition assistance payments would be extended to third and fourth licences, and made over two years (instead of eight) to provide more substantial support, sooner.
To be eligible for the payments below, the licence holder must:
- have held the licence on 15 August 2016, and
- continue to hold the licence.
The Taxi Services Commission will be writing to all eligible license holders in 2017 to validate their licence holdings before issuing transition assistance payments.
|Taxi licence types||Expiry||Zone||First licence||Second, third and fourth licence|
|M50 – Metro Taxi WAT||Perpetual||Metropolitan||$100,000||$50,000|
|M51 – Metro Taxi WAT||Perpetual||Metropolitan||$100,000||$50,000|
|M80 – Metro Taxi WAT||Perpetual||Metropolitan||$100,000||$50,000|
|MT – Metro Taxi||Perpetual||Metropolitan||$100,000||$50,000|
|UT – Urban Taxi prior 2003||Perpetual||Urban||$100,000||$50,000|
|UT5 – Urban Taxi WAT||Perpetual||Urban||$100,000||$50,000|
|UT5 – Urban Taxi WAT prior 2003||Perpetual||Urban||$100,000||$50,000|
|RT – Regional Taxi prior 2003||Perpetual||Regional||$50,000||$25,000|
|RT5 – Regional WAT prior 2003||Perpetual||Regional||$50,000||$25,000|
|RT5 – Regional WAT Taxi||Perpetual||Regional||$50,000||$25,000|
|C50 – Country WAT||Perpetual||Country||$15,000||$7500|
|C50 – Country WAT prior 2003||Perpetual||Country||$15,000||$7500|
|CT – Country Taxi||Perpetual||Country||$15,000||$7500|
|CT – Country Taxi prior 2003||Perpetual||Country||$15,000||$7500|
|MF – Metropolitan Fixed Term||Fixed Term||Metropolitan||$33,750||$16,875|
|UF – Urban Fixed Term||Fixed Term||Urban||$33,750||$16,875|
|MF5 – WAT Metropolitan Fixed Term||Fixed Term||Metropolitan||Annual fee rebate|
|UF5 – Urban WAT Fixed Term||Fixed Term||Urban|
|UT5F – Urban Taxi WAT Fixed Term||Fixed Term||Urban|
|RT5F – Regional WAT Fixed Term||Fixed Term||Regional|
|RTF – Regional Taxi Fixed Term||Fixed Term||Regional|
|C50F – Country WAT Fixed Term||Fixed Term||Country|
|CTF – Country Taxi Fixed Term||Fixed Term||Country|
|MTA – Metro Taxi Annual||Annual||Metropolitan|
|MTA5 – Metro Taxi WAT Annual||Annual||Metropolitan|
|UTA – Urban Taxi Annual||Annual||Urban|
|UTA5 – Urban Taxi WAT Annual||Annual||Urban|
|RTA – Regional Taxi Annual||Annual||Regional|
|RTA5 – Regional Taxi WAT Annual||Annual||Regional|
|CTA – Country Taxi Annual||Annual||Country|
|CTA5 – Country Taxi WAT Annual||Annual||Country|
|PS – Peak Service||Peak Service||Metropolitan|
|Hire car licence types||Expiry||Zone||First licence||Second third and fourth licence|
|MH – Metropolitan Hire Car Licence||Perpetual||Metro/Urban||$25,000||$12,500|
|CH – Country Hire Car Licence||Perpetual||Regional/Country||$12,500||$6250|
|SV – Special Purpose Vehicle Licence||Perpetual||NA||$1250||$625|
Rebates to annual and peak service licence holders
Renewals of existing licences
Existing annual fee paying licence holders (including peak service licence holders and fixed term licence holders who pay an annual instalment) with annual licence fee renewal payments due from 1 July 2016 onwards will be provided with a rebate for the license fee over the transition period.
If a licence holder has already paid their annual fee since 1 July 2016, they will be contacted by the Taxi Services Commission shortly and a rebate will be arranged.
If a licence holder has received a renewal notice but has not yet paid the renewal fee, an updated notice will be provided shortly which provides the rebate.
If a licence is due to be renewed during the transition period, licence holders will receive an invoice reflecting the application of the rebate when the licence is due to be renewed.
New annual licences
If a licence holder has purchased a new annual licence between 1 July 2016 and 23 August 2016, a rebate will also be made available to the licence holder for this licence. The rebate does not apply to the licence application fee. The licence holder will also be eligible for a rebate when the licence is due to be renewed.
Rebates do not apply to administrative fees associated with licence renewal. These payments will still need to be made to the Taxi Services Commission to ensure the licence remains valid.
There is no limitation on the number of licences a licence holder can receive the rebate for.
Taxi Reform Hardship Fund
The Victorian Government established the $4 million Taxi Reform Hardship Fund to assist perpetual taxi licence owners experiencing severe financial distress as a result of reforms following the 2012 Taxi Industry Inquiry.
Applications to the Fund have now closed, and all applicants have now been advised of the outcome of their application.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Support package Frequently Asked Questions Arabic Support package Frequently Asked Questions Arabic (DOCX 31.84 KB)
- Support package Frequently Asked Questions Croatian Support package Frequently Asked Questions Croatian (DOCX 37.89 KB)
- Support package Frequently Asked Questions English Support package Frequently Asked Questions English (DOCX 31.3 KB)
- Support package Frequently Asked Questions Greek Support package Frequently Asked Questions Greek (DOCX 36.13 KB)
- Support package Frequently Asked Questions Hindi Support package Frequently Asked Questions Hindi (DOCX 45.16 KB)
- Support package Frequently Asked Questions Italian Support package Frequently Asked Questions Italian (DOCX 35.35 KB)
- Support package Frequently Asked Questions Macedonian Support package Frequently Asked Questions Macedonian (DOCX 38.81 KB)
- Support package Frequently Asked Questions Punjabi Support package Frequently Asked Questions Punjabi (DOCX 41.61 KB)
- Support package Frequently Asked Questions Russian Support package Frequently Asked Questions Russian (DOCX 35.11 KB)
- Support package Frequently Asked Questions Serbian Support package Frequently Asked Questions Serbian (DOCX 46.09 KB)
- Support package Frequently Asked Questions Somali Support package Frequently Asked Questions Somali (DOCX 33.53 KB)
- Support package Frequently Asked Questions Turkish Support package Frequently Asked Questions Turkish (DOCX 31.55 KB)
- Support package Frequently Asked Questions Urdu Support package Frequently Asked Questions Urdu (DOCX 38.69 KB)
- Taxi, hire car and rideshare services Overview Taxi hire and share car Overview (PDF 173.19 KB)
- Taxi, hire car and rideshare services Overview Taxi hire and share car - Overview (DOCX 20.85 KB)
- Taxi, hire car and rideshare services: Support Taxi hire and share car Support (PDF 93.42 KB)
- Taxi, hire car and rideshare services: Support Taxi hire and share car - Support (DOCX 19.35 KB)
Page last reviewed on 17 March 2017