Advancing Victorian Manufacturing
Manufacturing is a $27.7 billion industry and a cornerstone of the Victorian economy, providing a diverse range of jobs, boosting exports and contributing to economic growth. Victoria is home to over 13,000 manufacturing firms employing around 280,000 people.
Global manufacturing is changing. It is becoming a more complex industry, with inter-dependencies between services, design, and digital technologies and growing connections across global value chains.
The Victorian Government is committed to supporting local industry to shape, engage and benefit from these global changes. Our state is ideally placed to advance and grow, with a highly skilled workforce, connected supply chains, exceptional design and engineering expertise, world-class infrastructure and leading education and research and development (R&D).
Video overview of Advanced Manufacturing in the State of Victoria
Read the video transcript.
Victorian Government's statement on Advanced Manufacturing
Advancing Victoria's Manufacturing. A Blueprint for the Future provides the vision for the Victorian manufacturing industry, focusing on industry growth, preparing Victorians for the jobs of the future, encouraging innovation, building scale, capability and supply chain excellence, and fostering a globally competitive business environment.
- Advancing Victorian Manufacturing. A Blueprint for the FutureAdvancing Victorian Manufacturing (PDF 2935.38 KB)
Download factsheets (accessible word versions below each):
- Advancing Victorian Manufacturing fact sheetAdvancing Manufacturing fact sheet (PDF 466.87 KB)
Word versionAdvancing Victorian Manufacturing (DOCX 36.06 KB)
- Advancing Manufacturing in Regional Victoria fact sheet Manufacturing in Regional Victoria factsheet (PDF 456.85 KB)
Word VersionAdvancing Manufacturing in Regional Victoria (DOCX 35.46 KB)
- Design and Engineering fact sheet Design & Engineering Fact sheet (PDF 375.7 KB)
Word VersionDesign and Engineering (DOCX 34.94 KB)
Advanced Manufacturing Advisory Council
Victoria's Advanced Manufacturing Advisory Council is helping to shape the future of Victoria's advanced manufacturing industry.
Established in October 2016 and chaired by Ross Pilling, the Council brings together 24 leading experts from industry, unions and academia providing advice to the Victorian Government on priority areas to shape a positive future for Victorian manufacturing, including guidance to the development and implementation of the Advancing Victorian Manufacturing statement.
The annual Victorian Manufacturing Hall of Fame Awards recognise outstanding achievements by local businesses and individuals, highlighting innovations and accomplishments that are advancing Victoria's manufacturing industry.
The Victorian Manufacturing Showcase celebrates the best of Victorian manufacturing. The event has been held in Melbourne's south east, Ballarat and more recently Melbourne's west.
Victorian Government manufacturing assistance and programs
A wide range of support and initiatives are available for Victorian manufacturing businesses, including:
- Future Industries
- Boost Your Business Vouchers: Advanced Manufacturing Stream
- Future Industries Manufacturing Program
- Local Industry Fund for Transition
- Victorian Manufacturing Hall of Fame
- Local Jobs First: Victorian Industry Participation Policy
- Victorian Defence Supply Chain Program
- Governor of Victoria Export Awards
- Investment and Trade
Page last updated: 21 December 2017