Retail, transport distribution and logistics and postal
The retail, transport distribution and logistics (TDL), and postal sectors are important drivers for development and future success of the entire Victorian economy.
Victoria is famous for its fashion, food and bars. Our vibrant and diverse retail sector not only plays a pivotal role in the cultural heartbeat of our city – it also makes an enormous contribution to our economy.
From cutting edge local designers and café-filled laneways to our buzzing shopping precincts, this state has the best of everything. Our restaurants are rightfully recognised among the world's best and visitors to the city have a vast range of accommodation options at their disposal.
The retail sector contributes more than $73 billion to our economy and employs around 338,000 people across the state.
The Victorian Government is supporting this crucial sector with projects like the $100 million revitalisation of Flinders Street Station with restoration works and upgrades to station platforms, entrances, toilets and information displays to make the station more functional for commuters and tourists.
Logistics are another vital component to the Victorian economy, bringing in approximately $21 billion per year and employing 280,000 people.
The TDL sector is central to Victoria achieving high productivity and growth within the economy.
The state's strengths include:
- Melbourne continues to be the fastest growing city in Australia.
- The central business district is home to 19,061 businesses, has a weekday population of 854,000 people and a weekend daily population of 613,000 people.
- The city has seen 815 new retail and hospitality establishments open above ground floor, an increase of 13 per cent since 2013.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics retail sales figures released in May 2016 show Victoria's strong consumer confidence has translated into the strongest annual growth in retail sales in Australia.
- Victoria recorded the highest annual growth in sales volume, up 3.9 per cent from a year ago (May 2016).
Boston Consulting Group report
A snapshot of Victoria's retail, transport distribution and logistics (TDL), and postal sectors Construction and Transport, Postal and Warehousing Fact Pack - Boston Consulting Group (PDF 877.74 KB) complied by the Boston Consulting Group.
An accessible version of this document is currently not available. Work to create an accessible version may already be in progress or an accessible version can be provided on request. Please contact the Digital and Social Media team, if you need further information about this document.
Page last updated: 13 December 2016