As we make the rapid transition to a knowledge-based economy, the 2016-17 Victorian Budget included $53 million for the establishment of Jobs Victoria to assist disadvantaged Victorians into the workforce and provide targeted support services for people looking for work, and for employers looking for workers.
Read the video transcript.
Jobs Victoria's initiatives
Receiving the right support at the right time can make all the difference for jobseekers. Jobs Victoria forms part of a suite of initiatives rising from the Jobs for Victoria strategy, including:
- Jobs Victoria Employment Network (JVEN) – Jobs Victoria's main program to help disadvantaged Victorian jobseekers gain employment – delivered by specialist employment experts who work closely with employers to identify job opportunities and prepare job seekers for those roles.
- Major Project Skills Guarantee – improves the skills and job prospects of local apprentices, trainees and engineering cadets, and provides opportunities to work on some of Victoria's biggest projects.
- Business in Transition Support (BiTS) Program – helps reduce the adverse impact of retrenchments and is open to any business or employer in Victoria that is currently undertaking or considering a retrenchment process.
- Youth Employment Scheme (YES) – offers young people aged 15 to 24 an opportunity to work in the Victorian Public Service (VPS) or an agency of government for 12 months while studying for a Certificate III or IV qualification.
- Youth Cadetship Scheme (YCS) – provides eligible YES trainees with a two-year cadetship and an opportunity to further their career within the Victorian Public Services (VPS).
- Social Enterprise Strategy – supports the expansion of the social enterprise sector and inclusive economic growth across Victoria.
Other initiatives focusing on investment where it is needed to create jobs and growth across the state include:
- Future Industries Fund
- Regional Jobs and Infrastructure Fund
- Agriculture Infrastructure and Jobs Fund
- Back to Work Scheme
- Premier's Jobs and Investment Fund
- Local Industry Fund for Transition
- New Energy Jobs Fund
- Wine Growth Fund.
Looking to work with the Victorian Public Service?
Visit Careers Victoria to explore career opportunities with the Victorian Public Service.
Page last updated: 13 July 2017