Murray Basin Rail Project
The $440 million Murray Basin Rail Project will upgrade Victoria's freight network by standardising and increasing the axle loading of the rail freight lines servicing the north west.
The project will increase the capacity of these vital freight lines, enabling more cost-effective delivery of exports to Victoria's ports.
Read the video transcript.
Once completed, the project will:
- boost the safety, capacity and reliability of freight services in northern Victoria
- better connect primary producers to Victoria's major ports in Portland, Geelong and Melbourne
- reduce the number of trucks on the road between the north west and our ports
- open access to more rail operators, driving competition in the sector
- give farmers in the Murray Basin access to a deep sea port at Portland
- provide a major boost to the transport industry, agricultural sectors and regional communities
- drive economic growth
- provide Victoria with 1130 km of standardised rail gauge.
The project will also create 280 jobs during construction in regional Victoria.
Want to know more?
Visit the Murray Basin Rail Project website to find out more.
Page last updated: 24 January 2017