Victoria's Lead Scientist
Victoria's Lead Scientist works across the Victorian Government to foster linkages and identify opportunities for economic outcomes by engaging with business, the research sector, government and the broader Victorian community.
The priorities of the Lead Scientist as outlined in the Strategic Plan 2018 - 2020 are to:
- advocate the importance of science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) to Victoria's economic future
- enhance university/business engagement and identify opportunities to build scale of activities by facilitating partnerships
- scan the horizon for new technologies and provide high level strategic advice on potential social and economic impacts
- advocate to improve the innovation capacity of the public sector.
The Lead Scientist is supported by the Department of Economic Development, Jobs, Transport and Resources and reports to Richard Bolt, the department's secretary.
Programs and resources
- The Victorian Gas Program will run from 2017 to 2020 and deliver a comprehensive program of geoscience and environmental research for onshore conventional gas, offshore gas and underground gas storage. Victoria's Lead Scientist chairs the Stakeholder Advisory Panel meetings for the Victorian Gas Program's Onshore Conventional Gas Studies.
- The Department of Education and Training's VicSTEM hub brings together the latest tips and advice, fun activities, career pathways and professional learning initiatives for educators, students and families.
- The Victorian Government is establishing ten Tech Schools across the state.
- There are key events throughout the year for collaboration and innovation like National Science Week which is held in August each year.
- The Lead Scientist is the Victorian Government representative for the Goulburn Regional Partnerships.
- Take a look at some recent stories and interviews about the Lead Scientist.
Page last updated: 30 May 2018